[Sca-cooks] Foods for Begining SCA Cooks

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 10 10:04:59 PST 2006

>>This recipe sounds great, but what are "splentes"?
>>
>>Renata
>>

>Splints.  You put it pieces of wood in the pot to keep the meat from
>actually touching the bottom and burning.  Modern equivalent could
>be one of those steaming baskets.  Although come to think of it, a
>nice citrus or stone-fruit wood, still green, might add something to
>the flavor.  If you want to try it with fresh plum, orange or lemon
>branches I can arrange that.

Plum is possible--I think we can be pretty sure that English cooks in
the 15th century didn't have ready access to orange or lemon branches.

What struck me about the recipe was that it sounded rather like capon
y-stewed, with beef substituted for poultry.

Also that it sounded good.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com