[Sca-cooks] Carrots in Dutch paintings

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Feb 11 10:49:29 PST 2006

>I posted a URL on another list of a painting that had a food scene
>in it.  Someone commented
>about the orange carrots, so I looked at more paintings done by
>Pieter Aertsen and Joachim
>Beuckelaer and found 14 painting that had carrots of various colors
>in them.  Some of the
>white carrots might be turnips.  It is hard for me to tell.
>
>Huette
>

>These have white carrots or perhaps turnips...
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=16236

If you mean the two carrots center bottom, lying on the edge of the
basket, I would have described them as orange--just about the color
of modern carrots. Are you seeing something else?
----------

>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21319

To me these are clearly white, and might be parsnips.

>These are hard to decide if they are white or orange...

>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21617

bottom right corner? Look pretty orange to me.

>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21611

Bottom center. Hard to decide white or orange, and not entirely clear
that they are carrots, since you can't see much of them.

>These look more orange to me
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21613

Yes.  But no more so than the first ones (16236).

>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21614
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21618
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21619
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21327
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21318
>
>These have purple, white and orange carrots
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21326
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21325
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21323
>
>http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21330

Neat.

So I assume your project is:

1. Determine from paintings the nature of all vegetables in Europe in
the 16th century.

2. Repeat for 15th, 14th, ....

3. Produce a vegetable time line, showing when carrots became about
the color of modern  carrots, when cardoons turned into artichokes,

Along the way producing an egg time line, showing just what modern
egg size is appropriate for each century, and a weight of chickens of
various sorts, ...  .

Go to it.
--
David/Cariadoc