[Sca-cooks] Carrots in Dutch paintings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 12 04:50:34 PST 2006

There are records from 17th Century Flanders that show several different
strains of orange carrot from which all of our modern orange carrots appear
to descend.  The paintings show orange carrots in the 16th Century, so we
know they were in Flanders before the written record.  Flemish immigrants
introduced red and yellow carrots into England in the late 14th Century, but
there is no record of orange carrots.  This suggests that the hybridization
of the orange carrot took place in Flanders during the 15th or early 16th
Century and use was probably geographically limited until the 17th Century.

Bear