[Sca-cooks] books to sell

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 16:54:16 PST 2006

--- Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Holy moly!  I have a book also titled CONSUMING PASSIONS but it's about
> Chocolate, with cute cartoons by Sandra Boynton.  It just goes to show
> you, nobody can copyright a title and descriptions are important too.
>
> I have just run searches for this book on Amazon in the US and UK and do
> not find it either place.  I'd be more interested in buying your copy
> anyway.  Better the money should go to one of "our own" than the
> faceless corporation!
>
> Selene Colfox

Actually, the Sandra Boynton book is officially called, "Chocolate, a consuming passion".
ISBN 0894801196

However, when I scanned the Library of Congress for the title "Consuming Passions" I
found 12 different books with that title.

There is a movie called "Consuming Passions" made in 1988, in Britain, with Jonathan
Price and Vanessa Redgrave.  The movie is about chocolete.

Then there is a book by Samantha Williams about Sex customs in Japan.
One by Michael Lee West about Tennessee gourmets and Southern cooking.
One by Philippa Pullar about English food and appetite.
One by Robert F. Forman about finding real love.
Consuming passions : feminist approaches to weight preoccupation and eating disorders
/ edited by Catrina Brown and Karin Jasper.
Consuming passions : food in the age of anxiety / edited by Sian Griffiths and Jennifer Wallace.
Consuming passions : Philippine collectibles / [with articles by Erlinda E. Panlilio ... et al.] ;
Jaime C. Laya, editor.
Consuming passions : the anthropology of eating / Peter Farb and George Armelagos.
Consuming passions : the art of food and drink : the Cleveland Museum of Art, July 26-October 9,
1983, Kenneth C. Beck Center for the Cultural Arts, December 28, 1983-February 28, 1984, the
Beachwood Museum, March 3-April 15, 1984 / Ann C. Boger.
Consuming passions : the dynamics of popular culture / Judith Williamson.
Consuming passions : the uses of cannibalism in late medieval and early modern Europe / Merrall
Llewelyn Price.

And if you take off the final "s" in the title, you get two more books.

Consuming passion : Christianity & the consumer culture / edited by Rodney Clapp.
Consuming passion : help for compulsive shoppers / Ellen Mohr Catalano & Nina Sonenberg.

But you are correct.  No one can copyright a book title.  I could write a book about
the New Orleans disasters and call it "Gone with the Wind".  I just can't write a book
about a Southern belle and her experiences during the American Civil War and use that title.

Huette