[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent....

Finne Boonen finne at cassia.be
Fri Feb 17 10:57:46 PST 2006

On 2/17/06, Betsy Marshall <betsy at softwareinnovation.com> wrote:
> You don't _have_ to eat/buy fish; it's just an option- check the Local
> Library for vegetarian (or vegan if you are skipping dairy/cheese/eggs also)
> Cookbooks- I have a couple- "vegetarian epicure, vol I & II", "Moosewood
> Restaurant daily", stuff like that.. most of them include the pairings you
> need to consider for complete protein supply; corn and squash, rice and
> beans, yadda, yadda...
> Hope this helps! Betsy

the complete protein story is slightly dated, as long as you get
protein from multiple sources throughout the day(s) you won't have a
problem, it's not necessary to combine them in 1 meal.

When eating vegetarian it's more important to keep track of iron-rich
sources, esp for menstruating women. When eating vegan, keep an eye on
B12 as well, it gets added to most commercial vegan products afaik,
but otherwise it's mainly found in diary products.

Finne
> (Admiringly- I might try this for a few Fridays, myself. Then work up from
> there)

"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"
http://hekla.rave.org/cookbook.html - my crossplatform dieet/recipe app