[Sca-cooks] TI Article

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Feb 22 13:31:26 PST 2006

>I've an article recently published in Tournaments Illuminated regarding my
>thoughts on choosing what to serve at feast.  I would be interested in the
>thoughts of others on the subject and upon my article.
>
>Daniel

Two comments:

1. On the whole, your advice seemed sensible. One addition I would be
inclined to make is to suggest a rehearsal feast--the whole thing
done for one table, consisting of some of the people involved and,
ideally, people with a significant range of culinary tastes. That can
show up a variety of problems, including:

A combination of dishes containing little that some people will eat.

Too much of some things and too little of others.

Unexpected bottlenecks in producing the feast.

On the question of exotic foods ...  . I think you want to make sure
that each course contains at least one dish for almost everyone. That
isn't too hard if you follow period practice (specifically
English/French 14th-15th c.) of having only two or three courses. If
the feast is elaborate enough to have lots of dishes in a course, you
can afford to have some exotic ones that only a minority will eat.

One can also introduce more exotic things by bringing them to events
where people bring their own food, or where you are for some reason
off board, and sharing them around.

2. "Remove" is not a period term for "course." It is a post-period
culinary term, and apparently meant a sort of subcourse within a
course. See the OED for details.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com