[Sca-cooks] geometry of samosa

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 08:29:22 PST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Gaylin Walli wrote:
> I'm getting ready to test out a recipe for samosas for the (MK)
> Spring Coronation feast and while the filling isn't problematic,
> the dough geometry is something that's giving me fits. I can't seem
> to wrap my brain around how modern ones get that very traditional
> triangular shape that stands up on the plate. I can probably make
> some dough and goof around until I figure it out, but if anyone has
> clearer instructions than some of the really horrible ones I've
> found online, I'd be eternally grateful.

I worked for two weeks in a samosa factory over one holiday as a student (18 years ago and I still don't like the things) and can vividly remember how to do it:

1. Make an equilateral triangle of dough, point towards you.
2. Put a spoon of filling in the centre.
3. Fold the bottom point to the centre (x marks the spot).
4. Wash the open right-side triangle of pastry with milk, butter, ghee, water or whatever you want.
5. Fold the right side tightly over the filled centre, top right corner to bottom left corner.
6. Wash open left-side triangle of pastry with milk, butter, ghee, water or whatever you want.
7. Fold the left side tightly over the filled centre, top left corner to bottom right corner.
8. Deep-fry.

You should be left with an equilateral triangle samosa that should stack upright quite nicely. A good trick to remember that we did was cut a small V in the top left of the pastry (which would be visible after deep-frying) for vegetarian samosa, and a half circle for chicken samosa.

And here's some dodgy graphics to go with that:

1.             2.               3.              5.              6.

ciao
Lucrezia

Baronessa Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia
Thamesreach Shire, Drachenwald
aka Tina Nevin, London, UK
"You can learn a lot about a person if you just take the time to inject them with Sodium Pentothal."

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc orsubsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information isintended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are notan intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  Ifyou have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediatelyat postmaster at caci.co.ukViruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.