[Sca-cooks] geometry of samosa

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 11:28:47 PST 2006

Gaylin Walli wrote:

> I'm getting ready to test out a recipe for samosas for the (MK)
> Spring Coronation feast and while the filling isn't problematic, the
> dough geometry is something that's giving me fits. I can't seem to
> wrap my brain around how modern ones get that very traditional
> triangular shape that stands up on the plate. I can probably make
> some dough and goof around until I figure it out, but if anyone has
> clearer instructions than some of the really horrible ones I've found
> online, I'd be eternally grateful.
>
> Iasmin

Hauviette is here...looking over my shoulder, munching on a Lindt 85%
dark chocolate bar.  She says to take a squre, fill the center, fold it
in half, then take up the two outer corners, pull them up to the center
point.  Bang the resulting "bag" on the table to make a bottom.  That's
it...done!

By the way, we're here working together to get stuff done for my Middle
Eastern feast tomorrow.  We're having loads of fun experimenting with
stuff and putting dishes together.  The feast is looking pretty
good...we're going to have a mezze during the day with all kinds of
munchies (lauzinaj, rutab mu'assal (stuffed dates), stuffed eggs, hummus
kasa, badin, barad, smoked olives, sals abyad, fruit (fresh & dried),
nuts, etc.  The main feast will be a single course consisting of minted
cumcumber pickle, jazr (carrots), Marwaziyya (lamb stew), couscous,
Thumiyya (chicken cooked with ginger, cinnamon and lavender), Isfanakh
Mutajjan (fried spinach), Badhinjan Buran (eggplant dip) and some of the
sweets/fruit left over from the mezze.  Whew!!  Urtatim, some of the
recipes I've used are from your Web site and messages in the
Florilegium.  Others are Dame Hauviette's...and some are ones that I've
redacted.  The feast is sold out!!!  Plus a waiting list.

Let you know how it went once it's over....

Kiri