[Sca-cooks] Sweet frumenty recipes...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 27 11:44:55 PST 2006

A soft wheat would be most appropriate, although hard red winter wheat has
worked for me.  Depending on the time and the location, the wheat would
likely have been emmer (Triticum dicoccum), club wheat (T. aestivum
compactum) or a soft common wheat (T. aestivum aestivum).  Modern wheats are
variants of the latter subspecies.

Spelt (T. spelta) was the most common hard wheat from Antiquity well into
the Middle Ages.  Most of the hard wheats are modern hybrids.

Bear