[Sca-cooks] Uses for tamarind paste???

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jan 1 17:36:48 PST 2006

Hi, everyone!
I scored two packages (bricks?) of tamarind paste yesterday at our local
(very tiny) Vietnamese deli.  From the printing on the package, it's
intended for use in "sour soup," which is kinda intriguing, but I'm
wondering what kind of medieval uses I can put it to.  ISTR that tamarind
shows up once or twice in the _Anonymous Andalusian_ (in the chapter with
all the beverages???), but I'd love to know of additional possible uses for
it.  I've been wanting some for a while, but it's not something one sees
locally with any degree of frequency! ;o) I have this idea of experimenting
with some of the different beverages in the _AA_, to get away from the
preponderance of mint sekanjabin as a non-alcoholic (period) drink at
events.  (Don't get me wrong, though <wry grin> ...I really enjoy
sekanjabin, hot or cold, but am just looking to branch out).
Hope everyone's enjoying the New Year!
--Maire