[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 32, Issue 49

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 05:44:40 PST 2006

> > From: "Terri Morgan" <online2much at cox.net>
> Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] Pork leg shank?
>
> I just learned that the HUGE pork leg shank (I think
> that's what it is -
> it's not labeled) that was donated for our upcoming
> event is probably not
> cured. Does anyone have any pointers or
> suggestions? I know it
> should probably be roasted and reach 170 degrees but
> beyond that (and I
> don't actually have an idea of roasting temp. 325?)
>
> Hrothny the Perplexed
Respected friend:
It is perfectly safe to cook pork at 275 degrees, and
for a big piece like this I heartily recommend it. The
lower temperature will, of course, mean a longer
cooking time- on average, about 1/3 longer than at 350
degrees- but you won't believe how much better your
result will be; as much as 1/3 less shrinkage, no
drying out, more even cooking, and a plumper,
'prettier' roast.
I always used powdered Grains of Paradise with roast
pork- even mundanely. It retains the juices in pork
and reduces shrinking and drying as nothing else can,
has a great peppery taste that's not too obtrusive,
and is a classic meat spice in our period. It works
either plain or as part of a good Poudre' Forte.
Please consider roasting it whole. One of the things
we don't do that they almost always did was to have
lovely large hunks of meat carved on a table in the
middle of the hall, in front of the High table. (So
that the highest ranking people could say "That bit
right there"? Hmm...) It would be great theater, which
I consider very nearly equal to the flavor of the food
in making or breaking a feast. In fact, In my
experience, really good medieval ambiance, including
such things as servers in livery and pages with
washing-bowls, can replace expensive ingredients in a
feast with not one person the wiser. A few people
remember good flavors a year later. _Everybody_
remembers good theater.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict