[Sca-cooks] "Leather and Leatherworking" (BMR book review)

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 17 06:23:26 PST 2006

I know this isn't cooking related, but I'm not on any other SCA lists.  Not
to mention there may be some interest here.  Once again I'll post a
heavily-truncated bit of the original post, with a link to the BMR website
and an offer to forward the entire review to anyone who is
interested.  Please feel free to pass this on to other lists!

Sandra

Subject: BMR: Mould et al., Leather and Leatherworking (Hillyer)
(from TMR 06.01.11)

Quita Mould, Ian Carlisle, and Esther Cameron. Leather and Leatherworking
in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York. The Archaeology of York: Volume
17: The Small Finds: Fascicule 16 Craft, Industry and Everyday Life.
Published for York Archaeological Trust by the Council for British
Archaeology, 2003. Pp. viii + 364. $50.00 (pb).  ISBN1-902771-36-2.

Perhaps there was an old saying among early medieval Londoners that went
something like this: "Never judge an Anglo-Scandinavian from York until you
walk a mile in his boots." Now it may be possible to recreate the
opportunity of gaining such an insight by utilizing information found in
this book.

The text provides an in-depth report of the archeological discoveries of
leather objects found in York during excavations from the 1970s up to 1999.
Most of the items discussed were located at the excavation site known as
16-22 Coppergate. Although leather usually decomposes in the earth, the
York excavations provided an abundance of leather goods.
<major snippage>
The "Everyday Life" section succeeds as the most interesting part of the
book. All aspects of shoemaking are discussed extensively with many
illustrations and photographs. The changes of styles and construction
techniques from the ninth century to the fifteenth century are expertly
explained.  The specimens found in York are then compared with other
examples of such work found in other areas of Europe. The discussion of the
scabbard and knife sheath leatherwork follows the same method of presentation.
<rest of the article cut>

The BMCR website (http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/) contains a complete and
searchable archive of BMCR reviews since our first issue in 1990. It also
contains information about subscribing and unsubscribing from the service.