[Sca-cooks] Limes

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 1 04:37:37 PST 2006

Am Sonntag, 1. Januar 2006 11:53 schrieb Stefan li Rous:
> Giano asked:
>
> A friend has been kind enough to give me two crates full of limes
> left over from the Mother of All Caipirinha Parties.
> <<<
>
> What's a "Caipirinha" Party?

Caipirinha is a kind of drink, allegedly Brazilian, that has become
inordinately fashionable in Germany. It involves fresh lime juice, cane
sugar, and strong alcohol.

> It looks like you've already gotten a number of suggestions on what
> to use the rest of your limes for. However, have you considered some
> of the period recipes which use limes? Doing a search on the
> Florilegium using "lime" and "recipes" gets a number of results.
> Unfortunately, many of these are referring to limestone or quicklime.

Well, the trouble is I need something with keeping qualities. I'm cooking a
feast next weekend, and I won't want to do much other culinary stuff before
or after.

> And then there is this comment in the birth-control-msg file,
>
> although I'm not sure how much use this will be to you:
>  >Moreach writes:
>  >>I once read somewhere that there is some evidence that Renaissance
>
> women
>
>  >>used cervical caps made from half a lime rind, which lime
>
> "essence" is a
>
>  >>decent spermicide.
>
> The half a box that you said you have left might be enough for this,
> though.

Now that I would love more data on.

Giano