[Sca-cooks] Bread baking for 12th Night

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 07:55:12 PST 2006

Terry Decker wrote:

> Assuming you mean a loaf made from whole grain meal rather than actual
> whole grain,

Yes.  Sorry, I should have been more specific.

> here's a recipe for a French country loaf that has done well at
> feasts. You can replace the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour,
> although you might want to boost the recipe with a couple teaspoons of
> diamalt.  I've also got a recipe or two for barley bread around
> somewhere, but the flavor is less than that of wheat or rye and may
> not please the average palate.

Not this time, thanks.  The King and Queen follow Atkins (or something
smilar) and eat wholegrain breads.  There will probably be others in
attendence who will appreciate variety.  I'm also making some rosemary
bread.

> Meal scattered on a baking sheet works as well as the greased baking
> sheet. using the meal to seperate the bread from the baking surface is
> also more period.

And works better, in my opinion.

Thanks for the recipe.

--