[Sca-cooks] Looking for a Roman craticula (cooking grate)

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 00:00:33 PST 2006

At 08:03 PM 1/1/2006,Wanda Pease said something like:

>This summer someone posted a picture of a reproduction of a Roman craticula.
>A friend said he would make me one because it looked like it would fold down
>nicely for taking camping.  Now neither of us can find the picture.
>
>It is essentially a metal grate made with something resembling rebar.  What
>I remember is a rectangular frame with about 1/3 spaced out with two circles
>of metal designed to hole pots, then the other 2/3's made grill like with
>metal bars that could fold down to create the gill or fold out of the way.
>All on nice collapsible legs.
>Wanda Pease/Regina Romsey

Try the Legio IX Hispana site?

http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier.html

With a closeup here:

http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier01.jpg

As these fellows are local to me I intend (really) to approach them about
maybe knocking out something like that for the Calafian Outdoor Cooking
guild to play with.  With one of these we could even use those neato clay
pots (olla type things) for cooking.

Cheers,
Maggie MacD.
(Mad 12th night cook, we're just debating which version of "mad")