[Sca-cooks] Bread for 'trenchers'

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 4 18:37:34 PST 2006

Bear replied to my questions with some good answers, however now I've
got more questions:

 > I suspect that at least for the first few times I will still need
to  use
 > something under the trencher, at least until I see how much seeps
 > through, but this could be a wooden plate about the same size or
slightly
 > smaller than the trencher. Perhaps even something of plastic  since
 > the trencher would hide it.

Just remember that except for the heels, slices of a coffee can loaf
won't have a crust.  Putting something under them is a good idea.
<<<

Yes, for the prototypes. But it sounds like from the household
manners books that the medieval trenchers, at least in the latter
period of their usage, didn't have crusts either.

 > However, a 3 pound coffee can would make a loaf of a size and a
weight
 > which I wouldn't expect to find in my bread baking info.
 >
 > For this 2 lb. loaf would you want to use the baking time given
for a 2
 > lb loaf? Or a bit longer because of the round, fat shape? Or would
you
 > use a lower temperature for a longer time? What about if I'm
working from
 > the recipe for a 1 or 1 1/2 pound loaf? I'm assuming  rectangular
or round
 > loaves for the original directions, rather than  a long, thinner
 > loaf like "French" bread.
 >
 >    Stefan

A three pound coffee can has a little more volume than a 2 lb loaf
pan, but
the exposed surface is smaller which contains and channels the
expansion.
The can needs to be greased (I recommend solid vegetable shortening)
before putting in the dough.

Weight is not the issue, mass to surface area is.
<<<

Yes, that is what I was trying to get at by mentioning the different
bread shapes. I was thinking of the distance from the outside to the
center of the loaf, though. However, even for the same size loaf,
doesn't the baking time differ between whole wheat and say, a refined
wheat? But I guess that is still volume to surface area, except you
are keeping the surface area constant in that case.

A basic bread of flour,
water, yeast and salt formed into one or two pound loaves will bake
in about
40-45 minutes at 425 degrees F, so don't worry too much about shape and
weight.
<<<

Oh.

The thermal differences between silver and a black baking tins will
cause more variation in baking than size and weight of the loaves.
<<<

It will??  What if the outside is dark and the inside is silver? How
does that compare to the reverse?

Temperature and time differences are more critical for loaves
enriched with
fats or sugars, because they are easier to burn, underbake, or overbake.
<<<

Okay, this makes some sense. I can see the fats or sugars making the
food easier to brown/burn. But why would the fats or sugar make it
easier to underbake something?

Small loaves like rolls or odd shaped loaves like baguettes having
less mass
to surface area are also more likely to take less time or special
temperature handling.
<<<

Yes, the difference in shape is why I used the French bread example
(I couldn't think of how to spell "baguette:)

But do you mean "are also more likely to take less time or less
special temperature handling"? Or "are also more likely to take less
time or more special temperature handling"? I assume the latter but
wanted to check.

For example, the true French baguette goes into a
450-500 degree oven with steam to produce the aeration and crust for an
initial period then the temperature is dropped to 350 degrees F and the
baguette is allowed to finish baking in declining heat.
<<<

I assume the baguette dates from the time of single chamber mass
ovens, as opposed to an oven that can quickly have its temperature
raised or lowered. It is easy to do the declining heat, but how to
you do the little or no drop from 450 degrees to a quick drop to 350
degrees? Two different ovens heated to or let cool to two different
temperatures?

BTW, most breads are baked at an internal temperature of around 210
degrees F.
<<<

"baked *at* an internal temperature of" or "baked *to* an internal
temperature of"? I thought with meats, at least, you cooked until the
internal temperature read what you wanted and then stopped. Not
continued at the target temperature.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas