[Sca-cooks] squill????

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 08:55:53 PST 2006

elisabetta at klotz.org wrote:

> And they have recipes using "squill". It looks like a crawfish and
> lobster had a
> kid. It's white with pink markings, but I'm not sure if that's the
> color before
> of after cooking. I looked up squill online, and it says it is an
> herb. It may
> be a translation issue--they use "prawn" and "scampi" for shrimp.
>
> So what is this thing?

It is a sea crustacean, also called a Mantis Shrimp [although it is
neither]. Long, many-legged and hard-shelled, but my father, the Chinese
Food Enthusiast, says it's very possibly the most delicious thing that
comes out of the sea.  I'm wracking my brain here but cannot seem to
pull out the Chinese name for them, I used to know that.  I think they
appear in Italian cooking too.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net