[Sca-cooks] Any good Lamb recipes?

Fairy Tale Designs avrealtor at prodigy.net
Sun Jan 8 12:35:03 PST 2006

Yes, I noted that near the end, so it might have gotten lost.

  I would have to convince my husband to let me dig a big hole in the ground though :)  Hey I let him built a pell in the garage, I should get a pit

  -Muiriath

Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Well, since one would expect the previous monarchs at the head table, you
might not want to use Rosemary then. [For the benefit of our friends from
other kingdoms: That happens to be HRM's dreaded allergy; we cannot even
use the traditional rosemary wreathes for the investiture when he wins Crown
Tourney.]

I want to learn to do pit roasting. This cooking method appears to have
been known in ancient Ireland as well as Polynesia.

"..... And it was their custom to send their attendants about
noon with whatever they had killed in the mornings hunt to an
appointed hill, having wood and moorland in the neighbourhood and
to kindle raging fires thereon and to put into them a large number
of emery stones; and dig two pits in the yellow clay of the moorland,
and to put some of the meat on spits to roast before the fire; and
to bind another portion of it with sugars in dry bundles and set it
to boil in the larger of the two pits and to keep plying them with
the stones that were in the fire.   Making them seethe often until
they were cooked.  And these fires were so large
that their sites are today in Ireland burnt to blackness,
and these are now called fulacht fian by the peasantry"
Geoffrey Keating
"The History of Ireland, 17th Century"

Selene