[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 10 11:16:47 PST 2006

What's the basis for 1542?  Cortez returned to Spain from the conquest of
Mexico in 1528 and it is very probable that tomatoes returned with him.  The
first European reference to tomatoes is in Mattioli's Herbal of 1544 (or
1542  or 1543, depending on source).  Dodoens provided a further description
in 1554.  The tomato appears in the painting The Angel's Kitchen (Murillo,
1646) which is the first thing that ties it to European cooking that I know
of.  The first recipe appears in 1692/94.

Bear