[Sca-cooks] Seeking leaves and crust

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 11 09:21:48 PST 2006

I think the Libum recipe you are attributing to Apicius is actually Cato's.
If so, the bay leaves are for flavor and you might find using other leaves
less appealing.  Also, oiling the leaves is not mentioned in the original
recipe.  I suspect that is a modern error introduced because the adapter
thought the leaves were to keep the bottom from burning.

I've actually seen a version of this recipe that called for the libum to be
baked under a brick.  The original bakes it under a testo, a terracotta
ceramic cover used for baking on the hearth.

For your crust:  2 cups of flour, 2 to 4 eggs, a pinch of salt, and enough
water to make a pastry dough.  It isn't very tasty, but it is serviceable.
I've got a couple others around here somewhere.

Bear