[Sca-cooks] Seeking leaves and crust

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 11:36:30 PST 2006

I'm not thinking something to replace the baking pan, I'm thinking something to make a pretty impression in the crust, which would make a bay leaf plausible.

  By the way, which edition of Apicius are you working from?   Contest might help us figure it out.  You mention "the original".   Do you mean a latin version?  IIRC the "original" was lost a few centuries ago.

  Mordonna

Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
  I can't help wondering if "leaf" is neccesarily a literal leaf from a
plant. We say "a leaf of paper" after all. Some kind of baking sheet,
perhaps?

If literal, I would try using grape leaves or maybe big lotus or banana
leaves, available at my local Asian market.

Selene C.

Fairy Tale Designs wrote:

>Maybe grape leaves?
>
> -Muiriath
>Kerri Martinsen wrote:
> Banana? Grape? Corn Husk?
>
>Some not period, but might work in the same vein. Bay leaf seems really small....
>
>Vitha

Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies