[Sca-cooks] Seeking leaves and crust

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jan 11 20:25:26 PST 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> The modern recipe is using soft cheese to simulate fresh cheese.
> When the whey is drained, the cheese forms a soft but solid mass
> that would need to be broken apart for the recipe.  A mortar can be
> the heavy stone or metal mortar we are familiar with or it may be a
> bowl.  The instruction to grind may actually be a direction to
> break up the cheese rather than to pulverize it.  Unfortunately,
> the simple Latin dictionary I have available doesn't shed any light
> on the verb.
>
> We don't know precisely what cheeses the Romans used, but Mark
> Grant describes experimenting with cow's milk curdled with fig
> sap.  He also points out that Roman preservation techniques were to
> bottle cheese in brine or vinegar, dip it in salt, smoke it, or
> pack it with crushed pulses.
>
> It is an interesting question, which I may pursue later.
>
> Bear

I seem to recall Pliny the Elder talking a bit about cheeses in the
Roman world, Cato giving one or two recipes, and Columella (author of
De Re Agricultura, not to be confused with Cato's De Agricultura)
giving us a pretty fair amount of information. I vaguely recall
something about sage leaves being crushed for their juice, used as a
vegetable rennet substitute. Somewhere I have a smudgy little
photocopy of some sections from Columella, but at the moment not even
a prayer of getting at it.

Adamantius