[Sca-cooks] Re: Cheese and Leaves

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 05:48:08 PST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 8:33 AM, wildecelery at aol.com wrote:

> <I'm not thinking something to replace the baking pan, I'm thinking
> something to
> make a pretty impression in the crust, which would make a bay leaf
> plausible.
>
>   By the way, which edition of Apicius are you working from?
> Contest might
> help us figure it out.  You mention "the original".   Do you mean a
> latin
> version?  IIRC the "original" was lost a few centuries ago.>
>
> I'm meaning a copy of one the latin variations and then an English
> translation of  the latin....

As far as I know, and beyond a certain point that ain't much, mind
you, the original is in Cato's De Agricultura, and not in Apicius.

> Personally, I've been doing the oiled bay-leaf thing and it works
> well, I was just seeking further knowledge
>

> <"...folia laurea subdito..." or "...place bay leaves beneath..."
> While we
> usually use dried bay leaves and they would probably work in this
> recipe, I
> suspect that the recipe is calling for fresh bay leaves which would
> provide
> flavor while seperating the libum from the hearth.>
>
> My guess is that this is why the one modern redaction that i have
> suggests using oiled bay leaves...to re-create some of the moisture
> and flavoring of fresh
> <The modern recipe is using soft cheese to simulate fresh cheese.
> When the
> whey is drained, the cheese forms a soft but solid mass that would
> need to
> be broken apart for the recipe.  A mortar can be the heavy stone or
> metal
> mortar we are familiar with or it may be a bowl.  The instruction
> to grind
> may actually be a direction to break up the cheese rather than to
> pulverize
> it.  Unfortunately, the simple Latin dictionary I have available
> doesn't
> shed any light on the verb.
>
> We don't know precisely what cheeses the Romans used, but Mark Grant
> describes experimenting with cow's milk curdled with fig sap.  He also
> points out that Roman preservation techniques were to bottle cheese
> in brine
> or vinegar, dip it in salt, smoke it, or pack it with crushed pulses.>

Pliny mentions some Roman cheeses, and pertinent -passages about them
are quoted in the ontreoduction to the Flower and Rosenbaum edition
of Apicius. Cato also talks about them fairly briefly, and Columella
talks about them quite a lot.

> I'm actaully using a "fresh" homemade bag cheese....the modern
> redcation that I was originall given calls for cream cheese and
> after three tries, I decided that the texture was a nightmare and
> started making my own cheese to use.

Chevre works well, if you don't mind the tanginess.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04