[Sca-cooks] Cream sauces

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 13 15:22:42 PST 2006

I am assuming that Raviolis de Courge is what is first recorded in the 13th
Century.

While I am certain butternut squash ravioli is delightful, it is most
definitely not a 13th Century French dish.  The butternut squash (Cucurbita
moschata) is a New World vegetable.  The raviolis de courge of the 13th
Century would have been made with some type of bottle gourd (Lagenaria
siceraria).  Also, the modern butternut squash was hybridized in the 18th
Century by Auguste Parmentier (IIRC).

That being said, there is quite a bit of confusion about whether squash or
gourds are being called for in the 16th and 17th Centuries, so the dish may
have been made with squash before 1600.

Bear