[Sca-cooks] OOP: Question about potato types...

Fairy Tale Designs avrealtor at prodigy.net
Sat Jan 14 23:25:55 PST 2006

Interesitng little piece on yams and sweet potatoes.

  http://www.spruce.ca/food/swpotaotevsyam.htm

  -Muiriath

Carole Smith <renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I frequently observe that a lot of people believe that a sweet potato and a yam are the same thing. They are not the same plant.

A sweet potato is less fibrous/stringy. It usually has a lighter skin and is generally not as large as a yam.

Cordelia Toser

Sue Clemenger wrote:
Hi, Gang!
This is purely an ethnic/relatively modern question, but I figured someone
out there in Cooks' land would know! ;o)
I ended up with this cute, little "Indian" cookbook after Christmas (Indian
sub-continent, not Native American/First Nations). There's an interesting
recipe in there for a "Sweet Potato Dessert--like a sweet, milky version of
potato soup. I thought, aha! I have lots of sweet potatoes, this might make
a nice treat!
Oddly, though, there's a note with the recipe talking about the specific
type of potato to be used. The author describes these sweet potatoes as
"longer than ordinary potatoes ...[with] a pinkish or yellowish skin with
yellow or white flesh."
I'm not sure if they're talking about the American standard sweet potato/yam
or not, since I would describe the coloring of mine as a dark orange. Are
there types of potatoes used in Indian cooking that are not widely known
here in the US? Would my American yam/sweet potato work well enough?
--Maire, in the mood for some serious beta-carotene ;o)