[Sca-cooks] Re: Pork shank 2

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Jan 18 15:40:04 PST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2006 18:18 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius:

> I'm with you on the sauce thing, but if the meat is properly seasoned
> and cooked, they really shouldn't be necessary. That's actually
> something you're taught in cooking schools; that the sauce and the
> wine are there to enhance the substrate, but should never be
> considered necessary as a cover-up for improper cooking or seasoning,
> or to help wash the food down your throat.

I think that's something we need to unlearn when we cook period. At least,
some periods of period. The idea that accompaniments are there to accentuate
the flavour of the meat isn't something I get out of many medieval recipes
(though sometimes it could be there, depending on how you read it). I've
always felt them to be more tricky combinations of various flavour to create
a 'balance' that may lie very far from the unalloyed base flavour.

Then again, growing up among the urban poor in Germany helps with that kind of
attitude, so it might just be preconception. It's not like a good beef roast
is something I have many childhood memories of, but we still cooked.

Giano