[Sca-cooks] Re: cooking with kids

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Sat Jan 21 05:53:34 PST 2006

Well, the goat ones, anyway.

We've served kid at feast before.

All I can say: use common sense. Goat is a fairly lean meat. You need to be
careful to keep it from drying out. Lamb is a fairly good analagous meat,
except for the fact that commercially available lamb usually contains more
fat than goat. Look at the cuts you are going to use. If it has enough fat,
you can probably roast it, but if it's typical, braising, stewing, or
otherwise cooking in liquid is a good idea.

Look to cultures that routinely incorporate goat for inspiration. A lot of
the modern recipes for goat call for long, slow cooking in liquid.

All this is probably blatantly obvious to all the regular cooks out there.
But sometimes the logic synapse doesn't click and we plan something that, in
retrospect, probably wasn't the best idea (ask me about my ginger-brick
sometime).

Berelinde