[Sca-cooks] OT: Weather in Oertha

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 23 06:07:01 PST 2006

Four hundred miles.  Where you at, Fairbanks?

That "hint of rain;" I've had to teardown and clear a site in 30 minutes,
because the flood crest was five feet above normal and the site would be cut
off for the next three days.  And I've been in a camp while lightning
strikes blasted in around us on one of those "dry" weekends.  Weather is
always local and it's a judgement call.

I'll point out that 50 miles can be worse than running Highway 3, if it's
through Dallas or Chicago at rush hour.  Because of the population density
and the distances involved, I'll bet large events in Oertha are few and far
between and carefully planned and scheduled to get the most attendence.
That's the way it used to be in the early days of Ansteorra with two or
three major events per month and time to recuperate in between.  Now we have
two to four events per weekend and the travel can be a real drag.  Sometimes
50 miles IS just too much.

Bear