[Sca-cooks] OT: Weather in Oertha

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 24 06:24:04 PST 2006

> >Four hundred miles.  Where you at, Fairbanks?
>
> Yep. Since 1964 it's been my home town.

Before or after the quake?  As a kid, I always wanted to have a drink at the
Red Dog Saloon in Anchorage, but it went down the hill in the '64 quake.

> What we don't have are great muckin' thunderstorms with lightning (well,
> hardly never) and tornadoes. We do have floods, earthquakes, landslides,
> black ice on roads, snowed-in passes. And, of course, volcanoes, if you're
> flying to come visiting (G).

Not to mention deer, caribou, or the mating moose that decides your auto is
a rival and puts the engine block in you lap.

Driving during or immediately after an ice rain is worse than most of the
winter driving in Alaska, but fortunately the effects last only two or three
days and we usually see only one or two a season.  Floods and black ice we
get.  Falling rock in the hilly parts.  The last big earthquake was a couple
hundred years ago at New Madrid.  I really don't want to see an earthquake
like that.  I was in the '57 earthquake in California, which at the time was
the biggest since the '06 quake.  That was scary enough.

> We have two coronet tourneys at year. They used to be held on a rotating
> basis between the Anchorage area, Fairbanks and Juneau. Now they are bid
> on. Two summers ago it was in Kenai, which was an additional 150 to go for
> us Fairbanksans. It's a toss-up: many hours on the road; lots of nasty
> traffic. On the other hand, the Kenai Peninsula is no fun on Friday night
> and Sunday afternoon during the summer. All the camping/vacationing land
> whales are heading for Homer or home.

Still two lane blacktop from Homer to Anchorage down around the Arm with the
wind blasting between the mountains and the sea down a natural venturi?  I
suspect the traffic has gotten worse since I did the 40 MPH, bumper to
bumper Sunday run home.

> Morgana, noting the high tomorrow is supposed to be -30F (brrrr), with
> lows tomorrow night maybe hitting -45F. No end in sight until at least the
> weekend, if then.
> --
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Morgana yr Oerfa, OP

Cold, but you should have 0 humidity and with luck, little wind.  The big
drawback in my view is it lasts about 7 months.  Of course, you are in
Fairbanks and the tempering effects of the the Japanese current aren't as
kind as they are in Anchorage.  For really miserable, I gather Big Delta is
the place to winter or summer.  Never tried it.  Don't want to.

The 18 degree, 20 percent humidty and 25+ MPH winter weather here in
Oklahoma show up a few times each winter and usually lasts no more than a
week, but it is exceedingly miserable.  I've always felt that the miserable
winter weather in Oklahoma was worse than winter in Alaska, but had the
saving grace of being much shorter.  If it lasted longer than it does, I
think I would have moved away years ago.

Bear