[Sca-cooks] OT:Earthquakes, was Weather in Oertha

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 14:16:30 PST 2006

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>  The last big earthquake was a couple hundred years ago at New
> Madrid.  I really don't want to see an earthquake like that.
> I was in the '57 earthquake in California, which at the time
> was the biggest since the '06 quake.  That was scary enough.

Actually the biggest earthquake of all in the Continental US
is the Prince William Quake in Alaska in 1964, with the
magnitude of 9.20.

The next largest was the Fort Tejon Quake, on the San Andreas
Fault, on Jan. 9, 1857, with a magnitude of 7.92.  Then comes
the 4th New Madric Quake on Feb. 7, 1812, with a magnitude of
7.88.  The Great Quake of San Francisco, on April 18, 1906 was
a magnitude of 7.80.

However, the Daly City Quake on March 22, 1957, was a moderate
quake with a 5.3 magnitude.  Yes, it was the largest quake
in _San Francisco_ since the big one in 1906, but it was not
the biggest one in _California_ in between those dates.  There
had been many many bigger ones in Southern California and
Central California with much higher magnitudes.  The Long
Beach Quake on March 19, 1933, was a magnitude 6.4.  The
Tehachapi Quake on July 21, 1952, was a magnitude 7.5.

For those, not in the know, every time the number on the left
of the decimal point goes up, the intesity of the quake doubles.
A 6.0 quake is twice the intesity of a 5.0 and a 7.0 is twice the
intesity of a 6.0.

Be warned, Bear, that you are not safe from earthquakes in
Oklahoma.  The Nemaha Fault produced a 5.5 magnitude quake
on April 9, 1952 in El Reno, OK that did damage in El Reno,
Oklahoma City and Ponca City.  According to one site, there
have been 675 earthquakes in Oklahome since 1976.

Huette, living happily in earthquake territory and would
rather not live in Tornado Alley or the Snow Belt.