[Sca-cooks] OT:Earthquakes, was Weather in Oertha

RON CARNEGIE r.carnegie at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 20:18:32 PST 2006

    I used to volunteer at Fort Tejon, and the comments regarding estimates
are quite correct.  It is not known which quake the Fort Tejon or the San
Francisco was stronger, let alone the New Madrid.  All the estimates of the
magnitude of the Fort Tejon quake are simply, that estimates. Of course loss
of live and property was much less as there was very little out there at the
time.    I think the San Francisco quake is actually recorded though.

    I do not miss Earthquakes, having lived through three strong ones, and
having suffered damage from them, but then every place has its natural
disasters.

Ranald de Balinhard

>> > The next largest was the Fort Tejon Quake, on the San Andreas
>> > Fault, on Jan. 9, 1857, with a magnitude of 7.92.  Then comes
>> > the 4th New Madric Quake on Feb. 7, 1812, with a magnitude of
>> > 7.88.  The Great Quake of San Francisco, on April 18, 1906 was
>> > a magnitude of 7.80.
>> >

>> As I recall all of these magnitudes are estimates based on recorded
>> occurences during the earthquakes.  I don't recall whether or not the San
>> Francisco Earthquake was recorded, but it is possible as John Milne
>> invented
>> the modern seismograph in 1880.  Magnitudes tend to be more questionable
>> the
>> further back you go.

sca-cooks