[Sca-cooks] OT: Mosquitoes in Oertha, was weather...

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Tue Jan 24 23:45:09 PST 2006

>At 09:13 AM 1/24/2006, you wrote:
>>Sigh. And in spite of all that, I STILL want to move
>>to Alaska.
>>
>>Gunthar
>
>You do know that in the summer, they have mosquitos the size of
>biplanes, don't you? ;-D)
>
>'Lainie

Actually, there two waves of mosquitoes. There are the spring
early-summer bombers. Very big. But very slow. Dangerous only in
large groups. You can see them coming and slap them out of the sky.

They give way to the jet fighters. Very small. Very fast. Very
persistent. Dangerous in small numbers because they will find the one
unexposed place on your skin. They like to get up under my garb and
feast.

Which is why the perfume of choice is mosquito repellent.

Now that I think about it, we didn't have many mosquitos last year.
Maybe a result of the major fires the summer before (the smoke of
which shielded us from what would have been record-breaking summer
high temperatures -- up to 100 -- and the mosquitoes). They'll
probably just be back with a vengeance, very hungry, this summer (G).

Morgana