[Sca-cooks] whisk

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Jul 5 13:29:42 PDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 4:29 PM, Stephanie Ross wrote:

> Does anyone know if whisks are period and if there are any extant
> examples?
> Internet searches are bringing up nothing for me.

The answer is "sort of".

The recipe for "A dyschefull of Snowe" from "A Proper newe Booke of
Cokery" instructs the cook to make a primitive whisk by cutting the
end of a stick lengthwise into four parts.

"To make a dyschefull of Snowe. Take a pottell of swete thycke creame
and the whytes of eyghte egges, and beate them altogether wyth a
spone, then putte them in youre creame and a saucerfull of Rosewater,
and a dyshe full of Suger wyth all, then take a stycke and make it
cleane, and than cutte it in the ende foure square, and therwith
beate all the aforesayde thynges together, and ever as it ryseth take
it of and put it into a Collaunder, this done take one apple and set
it in the myddes of it, and a thicke bushe of Rosemary, and set it in
the myddes of the platter, then cast your Snowe uppon the Rosemarye
and fyll your platter therwith. And yf you have wafers caste some in
wyth all and thus serve them forthe."

[A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye (mid-16th c.)]

- Doc

  Scheckon - þe oþer blaunch viaunde