[Sca-cooks] help with a pie

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Jul 8 14:18:51 PDT 2006

Was written:

  One more thought that might be useful.  If you look at Robert May's line
drawings of pie crust tops, all that are not fancy designs (which have
holes) have a round hole in the middle.  There's no way I can think of to
cut the design after baking without damaging the crust once it is crispy, so
I cut it before placing it over the filled pie.  (Funny that's exactly what
my English cousin did and she knows nothing about historic cooking.)

When I cook my modern lamb pie I pre-back the bottom crust fill it with the
cooked ground lamb and veggie mixture, pop on the pastry top and cut a
little X in the center of  the top.  I then fold back the four tabs created
by the X, pour in sherry.and cook the pie.

Works for me.

Daniel