[Sca-cooks] leather cooking vessels

sheila atamagajobu at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 17:59:36 PDT 2006

  caveat- don't use silicaceous rock such as obsidian, flints and cherts, which become very brittle when heated and have been known to become very small sharp fragments (broken glass) when shocked or over heated- best is to warm them slow and steady at about 300 degrees or less, but they may still fragment under thermal shock. Sandstone leaves a lot of grit in your food, more than cobbles do. I'd advise using granite, limestone, metamorphic or sedimentary rock- worn or river cobbles are most common,  as long as they are DRY before you put them in the fire.  they do explode.
  the method micheal used is the common stone-boiling technique- keep heating rocks and removing the cooled ones if it gets over full. Ethnographic reports suggest a very wet skin bag may be used over coals, but needs to stay saturated. I've also excavated a standing rib ring, of ribs arranged in a small- approx 1- 1 1/2 feet- circle to suspend a leather cooking vessel- it was next to but not IN the firepit, and heated rocks were found both inside the ring and around it... they were probably hot when put under it, given a slight discoloration of the soil,  but that wasn't certain.
  This is all Native American prehistoric info OR derived from replication experiments, btw.
  gisele
1. Re: leather cooking vessels (Micheal)

I have used a leather cooking vessel and we simply put hot rocks into the
liquid to heat it . Whether that was right or wrong it is what we did. Oh
advisory do not use a waxed vessel (shudder), and be prepared to replace it
sooner then usual. Some times there is less liquid than you think.
Da

Aislinn said:
<<< Thanks for the Cyprus cookery help and whisk info. Now I am hunting
Saxon leather cooking vessel fragments. Your Florilegium is the most
fabulous
resource Stefen; you are a God! Thanks everyone again.>>>

What is this about Saxon leather cooking vessels? How would you cook
in them? Drop in hot rocks warmed in the fire/coals? I know you
aren't supposed to put pottery vessels over the fire, just coals and
I imagine that leather pots are even less durable.

Yes, you can boil water in a paper cup, but this usually results in
burning away the paper not immersed in the liquid. I doubt you would
want to do that with your leather pot.

pottery-cookng-msg(22K) 5/15/06 Cooking in clay pots. Do and don?ts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/pottery-cookng-msg.html

Stefan
Hmmm. I wonder if a "god" ranks higher than a "Peer". :-)

When I have a little money I buy books. If there is any left over, I buy food and clothes.  Erasmus