[Sca-cooks] [MAILER-DAEMON at fiedlerfamily.net: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender]

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 14 13:17:33 PDT 2006

Subject: spanish feast part III: meat/pork dish

Along with the millet, on Saturday I tested this Casserole of Meat from
de Nola:

    CAZUELA DE CARNE

    You must take meat and cut it into pieces the size of a walnut, and
gently fry it with the fat of good bacon; and when it is well gently
fried, cast in good broth, and cook it in a casserole; and cast in all
fine spices, and saffron, and a little orange juice or verjuice, and
cook it very well until the meat begins to fall apart and only a little
broth remains; and then take three or four eggs beaten with orange juice
or verjuice, and cast it into the casserole; and when you wish to eat,
give it four or five stirs with a large spoon, and then it will thicken;
and when it is thick, remove it from the fire; and prepare dishes, and
cast cinnamon upon each one. However, there are those who do not wish to
cast in eggs or spice, but only cinnamon and cloves, and cook them with
the meat, as said above, and cast vinegar on it so that it may have
flavor; and there are others who put all the meat whole and in one
piece, full of cinnamon, and whole cloves, and ground spices in the
broth, and this must be turned little by little, so that it does not
cook more at one end than the other. And so nothing is necessary but
cloves and cinnamon, and those moderately.

So, I was pretty sure this could go in a crockpot. Obviously it's meant
to be made with lamb, mutton or goat meat but it doesn't say that, and
besides, if de Nola uses all that bacon, there's got to be some pig bits
around somewhere. So I tried it with pork.

I also skipped the eggs but kept the orange juice, combining the first
version with the 34d.

About 2.5 to 3 lb pork loin, cut into 1-1.5" chunks
I fried 5-6 pieces of bacon ends in a pan to make the grease, then
browned the pork loin chunks in that.
The pork loin chunks then went into the crockpot with about 2 quarts of
beef broth made from beef base.
added:
1 heaping tsp powder forte (the powder forte seemed to a leftover from
Christopher's last feast..)
7-8 whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon, broken up
about 1/3 cup bitter orange juice

Then I put it to simmer all day. (The general concensus was that it
definitely smelled Catalan.)

When we came home, it looked good, but the liquid hadn't cooked down all
that much, so I transferred it back to the frying pan and let it simmer
while the millet cooked to reduce it a bit.

The broth was not really thick enough-- next time I would use less
broth. But the meat-- oh oh OH! yummmy! and the broth was quite nice on
the millet. I'll serve this with rice.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

----- End forwarded message -----

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net