[Sca-cooks] spanish feast?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 15:24:34 PDT 2006

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
> So, I've been asked to do the feast for the second Conviviencia event, a
> high-authenticity Iberian/Spanish event, on Labor Day weekend. But I was
> feeling rather clueless about how to start this time (I did the previous
> one: http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/conviviencia/menu.html )
> I feel terrible about having let the menu slide, even though the event
> was originally scheduled for November.

<snippage>
> So, after flailing for a while, I sent a plea to Brighid ni Chairain...
> who met me after work and helped by suggesting recipes. We hammered out
> some suggestions for my feast menu, subject to confusion, indecision,
> and testing;
>
> Starters:
> Lombardy Sops (Melted/cheese bread strata cooked with broth, like the
> top of a french onion soup-- I will probably make a vegetarian version
> separately)
> Sausage?
> Olives?
>
> Main course(s)  dishes:
> - Eggplant Morisco out of de Nola
> - Rice in the Oven
> - grilled fish with orange juice (something out of de Nola)
> - a stewed lamb dish, perhaps Adobado de Carnero
> (http://breadbaker.tripod.com/meat.html?)
> - Roast pork
> - Carrot-cheese pie
> http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/LandsknechtBid.htm#carrotpie
> - a lentil or chickpea dish (probably lentils, for the color balance)
> - Jota, a cooked greens dish or similar dish
> - Millet Polenta (fried millet slices) or a blancmage of barley
> - Armored capon (chicken with a parsley-egg crust)
> - Limonada, a raisin-lemon-almond pudding, and/or a parsley pudding
> - mirrauste of apples (apples with almond milk?)
>
> Dessert:
> Peach pie from granado
> pears
> Candied orange peel?
> quince paste
> anise biscuits
> 'food for angels' (the cheese curds with sugar & rosewater recipe)
>
> More experiments in the next mail.

There is, IIRC, a recipe in either de Nola or some other Catalan
cookbooks I've run into for a chicken mirrauste...in fact it seems to be
pretty common throughout the Mediterranean region.  I fixed the one from
the Neapolitan cookbook by Scully for a feast I did some time back, and
it was a howling success.

Kiri