[Sca-cooks] cereals (was food safety/food preservation question)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 16 06:21:30 PDT 2006

> Rice is also a grass.  Collectively, the grain
> producing grasses (wheat, oats, corn, rice, etc.) are
> referred to as cereal grasses.  When you include
> plants like buckwheat and amaranth, the collective
> term is cereals.
>
> Bear
>
> My OLD, classroom definition of cereal was the edible
> seeds of cultivated grasses so there were 5 cereal
> grains (oat, wheat, barley, rice, corn/maize)  and
> getting students to differentiate between cereals and
> cereal products (even though you tell them in class
> that lucky charms are a cereal product...)
>

> Arianwen ferch Arthur

Ah, but which class?

What your textbook definition is giving you are the five "primary"
commercial grains.  Since rye, sorghum and millet are cultivated grasses,
produce edible seeds and are eaten by humans as grain and flour, then the
limitation of five cereals is incorrect and makes the work you quote suspect
academically.

I tend to use the dictionary definition which says cereal can mean a food
prepared from cereals.  To avoid confusion, using the labels cereal grain
and cereal product are a good idea.

Bear