[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks....

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 03:56:43 PDT 2006

This was my first cookbook:

Crocker, Betty.
Cook book for boys and girls.
1st ed.
New York, Simon and Schuster, c1957.

Mom gave it to me for Christmas when I was 6.  She and I made a couple of
recipes out of it, but I don't remember doing more than a couple.

When I was 9, my mother went into the hospital for a week to have her
gall bladder removed.  She had premade some casseroles for Dad to heat
up while she was gone, but I quickly became the designated heater.  I
didn't like the choice she had made for one Sunday, so I got out her
yellow Good Housekeeping Cookbook and made a casserole all on my own,
without my dad even knowing I had done so.  It worked out well and became
a family favorite for several years.  So the Good Housekeeping Cookbook
would be the first adult cookbook that I used without supervision.

The first "period" cookbook that I ever owned would, unfortunately, be
"Fabulous Feasts", followed quickly by "Sallets, Humbles and Shrewbery
Cakes".  I believe I was then given a very badly xeroxed copy of one
of the first few editions of Duke Cariadoc's collection, which exposed
me to real historical recipes and I got better and my addiction to collecting
historical cookbooks grew from that.  I got that xerox from a boyfriend in
1976 also, but I can't remember which edition it would have been then.

Huette