[Sca-cooks] cookbooks, and Most versatile cooking pot?

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 18 12:31:17 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
A general question to everyone.  Has anyone of you compiled a book of your
faviorite recipes? I am new to period cooking but not new to cooking for a
crowd.  I did a short stint as a cook in the air force.  The recipies were
for servings of a hundered.  Any way I am looking for food that you have
cooked for events that works.  Also what type of kitchen do you have to do
this in?  Some of the terms in the translated texts are pretty vauge.

Dan in Auburn> > > >

Excellent.  You have learned early a large part of what it means to be a
historical cook using medieval and rennaissance manuscript
translations/transcription.  Those vagueries are rampant and the key to our
art as cooks.  You can take the same recipe prepared by three cooks and get
three divergent dishes.  Even translations are not what they appear to be
sometimes as vocabulary can actually vary or be dead wrong at times if
translator is not proficient in the medieval language forms.

Many cooks start with collections of recipes worked out into modern recipes
by experienced (and some not so much) cooks and/or scholars.  I didn't have
that path, and started right in with Cariadoc's Collection of photocopied
original source work.  A small collection of some of my recipes has been on
the web at  http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/recipes_main.htm

If they are useful, I only ask that you give proper attribution.  Good luck
and welcome to our little playground!!

niccolo difrancesco