[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks.... SCA cookbooks

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 18 19:11:21 PDT 2006

I joined 33 years ago next month, so I was actually around
prior to Pleyn Delit and Lorna Sass and Cosman. In the fall of 1973 we
were using The Horizon Cookbook, and Illustrated
History of Eating and Drinking Through the Ages, from
1968. In 1971 all the recipes came out as The Horizon Cookbook;
A Treasury of 600 Recipes From Many Centuries and Many Lands,
and that was available on remainder tables at Waldens in 73-74.
Mrs. Groundes-Peace’s Old Cookery Notebook, by Zara Groundes-Peace.
from 1971 was another favorite as was Richard Barber's
Cooking & Recipes from Rome to the Renaissance from 1973. Also out then was
The Cornucopia: by Judith and Marguerite Shalett Herman which also
remaindered
cheap. My copy of Food and Drink in Britain by C. Anne Wilson dates from
1974. Food in History by Reay Tannahill also came out in 1973.
Also from 1973 was the original Seven Centuries of English Cooking by
Maxime McKendry.

Johnnae