[Sca-cooks] Zakuskas

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 19 20:03:29 PDT 2006

LOL! No, you didn't upset me. It was really cool to talk about all the
research I've done with people who actually care about such things. I'm
afraid I bore my boyfriend to death and my kids don't care. Not too many
medieval/SCA cooks are all that interested in medieval Russian/Slavic food
either. It might help if I could read and write Russian, but I can't get to
original research materials anyway in this country. What has really helped
in my search is, don't laugh, Ebay! Just doing a general search to see
what's out there has introduced me to books I didn't know existed. I
research Russian embroidery and costume as well as food. I love digging for
research and these topics are truly challenging. You guys on this list are
the ones who taught me how to do the research, and I had a chance to share
what I learned and ran with it! I appreciate the related subject to check
into. I wonder if the buffet table was a common food serving style, and
maybe wasn't named in various cultures until the 19th century? The modern
Morrocans communally eat a variety of dishes at one time also, come to
think of it. Can you imagine 500 years from now scholars will be trying to
figure out what dishes we ate at a BBQ?

Don't even get me started on vodka and brandy, I think I figured out what
they are, but research in English is scanty and I'd have to know Hungarian

~Aislinn~

 PS. Thank you again for the book Mistress Kiri. I hope you are pleased
that I actually read it!