[Sca-cooks] Mayhaw syrup & Muscadine Jelly

JAMES REVELLS sudnserv5 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 19 20:56:53 PDT 2006

Well if you want some really good Mayhaw jelly you need to just go & pick
you some berries out of the bog & make it your own self, but it might be
hard to do this year in southwest GA due to a lack of rainfall.  Back after
Dad got out of the Army in '69 & moved us down to the Cedar Springs/Jakin
area in Early County, he got on a kick of us making all sorts of jellies,
jams & preserves, as well as canning or freezing all sorts of vegetables.
Guess who got stuck with most of the growing & picking?  Still think the
homemade stuff has a lot more flavor than any of the commercial stuff I have
tasted.  Don't forget to get some Scrupling jelly as well as it's close
relative Muscadine Jelly.  Another thing is the Fig preserves.  Mrs. Patty
sent some up with my brother last year & I still have some in the kitchen.
I ration myself on those childhood treats.
Pax,
Michael
who is usualy known as Olaf on this list when he has time to post.  Have
lots of fun at Pennsic this year, next year for me it looks like.