[Sca-cooks] Russian food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 19 23:55:26 PDT 2006

Aislinn commented:
  <<< Ok Jadwiega, here is what I served at the Judge's Luncheon. Smoked
whitefish, smoked salmon, kippered herring, >>>

I think the only kippered herring I know of comes out of the little,
ovalish cans. Did you get yours already kippered? Or kipper them
yourself? What exactly is "kippering"? Is it simply pickling them in
vinegar?

<<< smoked oysters, red and black
caviar, 2 kinds of Polish sausage that I didn't get the name of, sour
cream, cocktail pumpernickel, cocktail rye and small wheat toasts,
kotleti
(beef meatballs in a sour cream gravy), >>>

Recipe, please? I've had meatball dishes in gravy. This sounds like a
nice change.

<<< kurnik (a chicken pie with rice and sour cream), >>>

Recipe?

<<< pickled cucumbers, three kinds of piroshki - mushroom and
hard-boiled egg, cabbage, and beef and rice in sour cream, cheddar
cheese
cubes, homemade kalach bread, homemade pickled beets (Polish style with
onions), >>>

What makes these "Polish style"? The onions?

<<< pickled mushroom with fresh dill, and a modern version of Russian
pickled eggs made with fresh dill and juniper berries, vatrushki
(curd-cheese tartlets), >>>

What did you use for the curds? Cottage cheese?

<<< Russian teacake cookies, and some Polish honey
cookies I picked up at the deli when I bought the sausage. >>>

Oh. So no recipe for these Polish honey cookies, I guess. :-(

<<< For drinks I
served cranberry/raspberry juice and hot tea with cherry, raspberry or
blackberry preserves to go in it. I wanted to make blini but I ran
out of
time >>>

Blini are the same as blintzes? A thin, firm pancake rolled with a
filling?

<<< The feastcrat gave me $20 for my breakfast budget. >>>

For how many people?

I served portable food so that the populace
could vacate the feasthall quickly (we close the feasthall during
judging)
that included hard boiled eggs, breakfast sausage links, homemade honey
cake, >>>

Recipe for the honey cake?

<<< and for the more adventurous, kasha with onions and ham.>>>

Was this served cold, cool or warmed up? Yes, sounds adventurous.

<<< See, you got me started, are you sorry yet?! >>>

No.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas