[Sca-cooks] help with cheese

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jul 20 17:32:06 PDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I have that book too.
>
> Although, I have heard people say farmer cheese is curd cheese, it
> really doesn't
> have the right texture for curd cheese, IMHO.

It's the curds that are throwing you, eh? ;-)

Actually, this interests me since I've heard of people using
something they call "Farmer cheese" as one (or all) of the cheeses
for the Digby Savory Toasted Cheese, and the problem with that is
that Farmer Cheese (not to be confused with farmhouse "cheddar", just
in case that's what people are thinking of) doesn't really melt.

So perhaps there are two things variously called Farmer Cheese.

I'm assuming the hoop cheese you speak of is curds packed into a hoop
and drained without (or without much) of a weight on top, so it's
sold quite fresh, not salted [much] and still has quite a curdy
texture. But that's a pretty fair description of typical commercial
farmer cheese here (say, Breakstone, to name a brand, which comes in
soft bricks like cream cheese but has a definite moist, curdy
crumbliness to it). It's softer than feta, say.

Adamantius