[Sca-cooks] cookbooks, and Most versatile cooking pot?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 20 19:15:20 PDT 2006

There are glossaries online.
See http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/pages/gloss.htm for the
glossary that Prospect Books has online. It's neat because Elizabeth
David’s glossary to John Nott’s Cooks and Confectioners Dictionary
(1726) is now
included. David did the notes for the facsimile reprint published in
1980. Her entries carry the suffix
(John Nott, 1726). I happen to own that facsimile; it's been something
I've relied on for years. I am happy people can now see part of why
it's so good.
Cindy Renfrow has the GLOSSARY OF MEDIEVAL & RENAISSANCE CULINARY TERMS
http://www.thousandeggs.com/glossary.html
Lots of us rely on the Middle English and Oxford English Dictionaries
and have access to those resources.
If you come across a term, just ask. Another way to start with a unknown
recipe
is Google it and see if there is already a version on the web or in
the Florilegium. Also Googling the terms will often turn up the meaning.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae