[Sca-cooks] Cooking Contest

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Fri Jul 21 09:09:42 PDT 2006

--- Honour Horne-Jaruk <jarukcomp at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

 Respected friends:

    The Maison Rive siege cooking contest, held at
Pennsic for three or four years now, is  occurring
again.

   If you've already heard of this competition, or
have participated in the past, there have been some
changes to make it more enjoyable for everyone.

    This year I'm planning ahead (a little). If you
know a Pennsic-bound cook who might wish to spend a
day (two, if they win their preliminary night) making
good food from unusual period ingredients, have them
E-mail me.The first cooks committed are the first
scheduled

   There will be  four preliminary nights with two
cooks each.  The fifth night, all four finalists
compete for the major prize.

    Food is given out at five one night, to be
presented for judging at six the next night. I provide
ten ingredients;  the Guild of Spicers next door
provide up to one ounce each of any four spices the
cook chooses. Competitors may add _nothing_ else but
salt and water.

   The ingredients always include an animal protein
(eggs and cheese count), a starch, and a fat. Other
ingredients are intended to go with these, to provide
a set that could have been  available in a specific
time and place- the list this year is Byzantium,
Novgarod, France, Jerusalem, and England, all
crusader-era.

    The preliminary night prize is a pure hemp cook's
apron , made in the medieval/renaissance style. The
overall prize has varied from year to year. (Last year
I had the good luck to find a 22-gallon cauldron...)

   The competing cook can have a whole
household/barony/encampment as cook's helpers, but
must make all the actual decisions by him- or her-
self, and do all the spicing. Presentation and
authenticity count for much of the score,  but it
still has to taste good.

    Cooking Laurels are welcome to help judge (Very
welcome. Very, very, very welcome...) but may not
enter.

    If I left something out , or have been confusing,
just write back.

...If you could forward this to any of the following
lists- SCAcooks, SCAauthentic, SCAlaurel, the Rialto,
and any kingdom- or smaller- cook's list,  please
e-mail me. (I don't want to spam them.)

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alisond de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict
Tchipakkan
Don't corner something meaner than you.