[Sca-cooks] Roux vs. Gravy recipes

Pat Griffin ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 08:29:56 PDT 2006

Three kinds of Milk Gravy:

1. Take two or three tablespoons of pan drippings and twice as much plain
flour, and form a classic roux.  Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of
black pepper, then gradually stir in 2 cups of milk, stirring constantly
until it comes to a low boil, then quickly remove from the heat and serve
hot.

2. Heat two to three tablespoons of pan drippings until it begins to
"sizzle".  Slowly stir in 2 cups of milk.  Quickly stir three or four
tablespoons of plain flour into one quarter cup of warm water along with 1
teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.  Stir this mixture into the
milk.  Continue to heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, and
milk just begins to bubble.

3.	Substitute 2 or three tablespoons of corn starch and cool water for
the flour and warm water in number two.  This is the one I prefer, as it is
much less likely to form lumps.

Now, I know that number one is a roux, and number three is not, but I'm not
sure whether or not number two is a roux, given Master A's definition.

By the way, all three of these are equally good with fried chicken, country
fried steak, or pan grilled pork chops, especially with hot biscuits, mashed
potatoes, and black eyed peas.

Lady Anne du Bosc

Known as Mordonna The Cook

mka Pat Griffin