[Sca-cooks] Roux vs. Gravy recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jul 23 09:17:27 PDT 2006

On Jul 23, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Pat Griffin wrote:

> Now, I know that number one is a roux, and number three is not, but
> I'm not
> sure whether or not number two is a roux, given Master A's definition.

I'd think that when you mix flour with fat, you're working with a
roux or something like it. If you're mixing your starch with water or
milk, it's more like a slurry. The idea is that the flour or other
starch granules be lubricated to avoid lumps when they gelatinize.

> By the way, all three of these are equally good with fried chicken,
> country
> fried steak, or pan grilled pork chops, especially with hot
> biscuits, mashed
> potatoes, and black eyed peas.

I have to admit this Yankee has a secret passion for country fried
steak with milk gravy and mashed, and made sausage gravy with a close
variant on version #1 yesterday...

Adamantius