[Sca-cooks] Chickweed pie

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 10:31:14 PDT 2006

I was in Lancaster County, Pa., this past weekend and I picked up a book of Pennsylvania Dutch cooking at the Landis Valley Museum. It's William Woys Weaver's book.

I am wondering as the origins of this recipe, which is essentially a quiche made with eggs, sour cream, pieces of bacon fried crisp, onions, cinnamon, and the chickweed of course. Since settlers in the region came from a wide swathe of Germany as well as Switzerland, I wondered if there was a tradition of cooking with chickweed in any of these regions and how far back that went. I am not assuming the pie is a period recipe, just wondering if there was chickweed used in medieval German/Swiss cooking.

Gianotta